Friday, August 24

Third and Seven

In just seven days, I’ll climb into the Corolla, merge on to the Kennedy Expressway and leave Chicago behind me. A guy can do a lot in a week, but whooooo boy is there a lot to tackle (no pun intended). With each passing day, I feel like I’m accomplishing more and more. At the same time, I feel like there is more and more that’s not getting done. It’s hard to fall asleep these days because going to bed means that certain tasks that could be done are not being done. I’m being as efficient as I can, but there’s definitely a fear that unresolved issues will cause major problems down the road. Perhaps it’s time I finally got hooked on caffeine… If I get the major things completed, perhaps the rest will all fall into place – and I’m doing pretty well on the major things.

The knee is steadily improving. Today in physical therapy, there was a major breakthrough. Suddenly I can bend it farther than before with far less pain. Perhaps the swelling is finally subsiding, or maybe I just have that good a therapist. Either way, I’m pleased with the progress. It’s still painful at times and I’m not going to toss the football around at tailgates, but compared to a week ago, it’s worlds better. Furthermore, thanks to a tip from a friend, I found out that I can enroll in COBRA retroactively which will save me several thousand dollars in medical expenses. It’s like found money, or rather found not-as-much-debt. That may all have to be ironed out from the road, but I feel like I just won the lottery. Er - the scratch-n-win.

The car has been mechanic-approved and ready to take the pounding I’m about to give it. It’s only three years old, and for the last year as been spared the one hour each way commute that so brutalized the last Corolla. A laptop has been purchased, a real Toshiba – not just one with Toshiba Guts. I still need to set it up and get the proper programs installed. So far, I’ve only turned it on, but the screen is all bright and shiny. The digital voice recorder has been utilized once to great success (big thanks to my main man Marut for the hookup!). It’s going to get a serious workout over the next three months. Luckily, it can hold about 29 hours of data before it gets filled. The AAA batteries? That’s likely another story, but a very solvable issue.

Mainly what I have left are little things, but there are a lot of them. I won’t encumber you with the numerous details. The number one issue to address is finding fans at each school. But the first stop, Notre Dame, is locked and loaded. On Tuesday, I interviewed a man who has been to every Irish home game since the 1939 season. On Wednesday, I met two young men who just graduated from there this past spring. All of them had a lot to say and a wealth of passion for their university. Those meetings have me chomping at the bit to move this project ahead and encounter wonderful fans at each and every school.

Seven days isn’t a whole lot of time, and they’re going to fly by quickly. Kickoff looms. I’ll be as ready as I can be.


Anonymous said...

You are hilarious.....can't wait to read more. Hope it goes well!

Brad said...

I have a feeling the Golden-Domers are going to have a very painful season.

I will put the knee-hex on them.

Sean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
2nd City King said...

It's a shame that your first stop will probably be your best, but not much you can do about that now. I hope you have a hell of a good time. What you are doing is really inspiring.

GO ND!!!
P.S. How do I become a friend of the program?

Anonymous said...

Chris and I will be thinking of you Saturday. I have told my Notre Dame friends that you will be there. You could get interesting interviews out of some of them if you see them early enough. Have safe travels and we will be checking in with your blog every week. Looking forward to seeing you November 17th!

Stacey Mack

Popular Posts